Identity Theft

I may be a victim of ID theft – what should I do?

  • File a complaint with the FTC at
  • Contact one of the major credit bureaus to place a ‘fraud alert’ or a credit freeze on your credit records
  • Contact your financial institutions, and close any accounts opened without your permission or tampered with by thieves
  • If you SSN is compromised you may want to protect yourself from tax-related identity theft
    • Complete IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit
    • Complete FTB Form 3552, Identity Theft Affidavit (CA form)
  • Consider subscribing to a service to monitor your credit activity