I may be a victim of ID theft – what should I do?
- File a complaint with the FTC at https://www.identitytheft.gov/
- Contact one of the major credit bureaus to place a ‘fraud alert’ or a credit freeze on your credit records
- Contact your financial institutions, and close any accounts opened without your permission or tampered with by thieves
- If you SSN is compromised you may want to protect yourself from tax-related identity theft
- Consider subscribing to a service to monitor your credit activity